The air is about to turn crisp, and the leaves turn various shades of yellow and orange, making this the perfect time to get outdoors and enjoy the clean, chilled air. Make these ventures family events, and everyone gets the health benefit as well as the chance to spend some quality time together. If you are not sure what types of sports encourage whole family participation in the Fall, check out any one of these:
- Golf: Many people associate golf with spring and summer, but fall is actually the best time of year to pull your nines out of the trunk. The sun is not as bright, and the green not as slick from spring and summer showers. Plenty of golf courses offer on site training, where you and the kids can get a pros help in learning the basics of golf in a lovely fall setting.
- Archery: This may seem like a dangerous sport to let kids in on, but with the right training anyone can safely learn how to shoot a recurve bow and beginner arrows. Archery is all the rage now, and you can easily find a nice range that welcomes family archers. The bonus is that these are often set in the woods, where you and the kids can enjoy the change in season up close and personal.
- Softball: Professional baseball playoffs may be kicking off, but softball leagues all over the country have felt the benefit of a quick Fall season. You could get lucky and find a family league that encourages players of all shapes and ages, or sign up the kids and volunteer as a coach.
- Tennis: Families of four will enjoy playing doubles against each other without having to break a sweat in the fall. Not only is tennis great for building eye-hand coordination, it is an active sport that helps keep you all healthy. Your local community college may have outdoor courts available for public play in the afternoons, or you could check with the local park service to find out where you can all get some love.
- Walking: This may not seem much like a sport, but it is great exercise and a way to get everyone outside. Pick different locations every week, and make it fun for young ones by having them scavenger hunt for different colored leaves. What makes a weekly walk even better is that you can feel free to bring the family dog along.
Take advantage of the change in season to get out of the summer heat rut and bask in the clean air that fall blows in. This is a perfect time to make quality time with the family a priority as we get ready to head into the holiday season.Read More